The ability to trend flows Deleted, Created, or Denied, for example, allows administrators to gain visibility into historical baselines on how the Next Generation Firewall traditionally treats traffic headed for the Internet. If an abnormal spike or drop occurs in the above trend, administrators can drill in to find out what machines were involved and which applications were being used at the time. This data can also be bundled together with multiple firewalls to gain a more enterprise view of the corporate Internet behavior.
Stay Up-to-Date on Network Activity
Administrators can use the above report to set thresholds on volumes of unacceptable ‘denied’ events. If a host causes connections in a way that violates a threshold, unacceptable rates of denied violations can trigger events which lead to notifications.
- Reports on username, layer 7 application, firewalls events, and more
- Distributed collector performance monitoring
- Fast searching to find a host across collectors
- Audit trails of all internal and external traffic
- Access from Scrutinizer to Palo Alto logs in Splunk
Leaders in Network Traffic Analysis
Industry-leading NetFlow features include:
- Application Awareness: They use Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to identify and separate applications that share ports such as TCP 80.
- Username: If users have to authenticate with Microsoft Active Directory, Cisco ISE, or LDAP, the flows exported by the firewall can be tired to the username. This eases troubleshooting efforts during times of forensic analysis.
- Network Address Translation: This can be a big time saver when trying to find out what an IP address was internally before it was NAT’d by the firewall.
- Firewall Event: Report on which flows were denied and verify policies.
- Correlation: Integrate with Splunk and Elasticsearch / Kibana to correlate flows with logs.
All major firewall vendors recognize that flow technology is a primary feature necessary to be a contender in the Next Generation space. Clearly Palo Alto Networks understands which features matter most and has moved quickly to service the needs of their customer base and has partnered with Plixer to bring them to market.
Read our configuration guide: Configure NetFlow export from a Palo Alto Next Generation Firewall.