Forensic Investigation with Flow Data
The Scrutinizer System
Scrutinizer™ is at the foundation of the Plixer incident response and behavior analysis architecture. It is available as a physical or virtual appliance, or as a windows download. Scrutinizer performs the collection, threat detection, and reporting of all flow technologies on a single platform. It delivers real-time situational awareness into the applications and their historical behaviors on the network.
- Massive scalability, supporting dozens of distributed collectors
- Capable of archiving and analyzing several million flows per second
- Topology mapping with active links
- Deduplication and stitching across collectors
- A single flow collection system supporting over 2000 flow sources
- Collect up to 200,000 flows per second
- All flow technologies supported on a single system (i.e. NetFlow, sFlow, IPFIX, J-Flow, NetStream, etc.)
- Forensic audit trail reporting
- Threat Detection of odd traffic patterns
- Threat reputation support
- Threat Index™ indicates weighted threat severity over time.
- Archiving of raw data for decades
- Additional reports for Cisco, Palo Alto, Citrix and dozens of other vendors
- Behavior Baselines and alerting based on abnormalities, compared to historical trends
- Custom threat detection algorithms
- Integration with Cisco ISE, RADIUS, or Microsoft for end user name identification
- Design and build custom reports for exports from any vendor (e.g. Cisco NBAR, AVC, etc.)
- Support for hundreds of unique login accounts with access limited to specified data
- Billing and invoicing support
- Extends flow support in areas where NetFlow, sFlow, or IPFIX are not available
- Detailed metrics on applications, response times, and usernames
- Exports NetFlow and IPFIX
- Eases the forwarding of flows from routers, switches, or servers to multiple collection systems
- High speed architecture capable of 10GbE wire speeds
- Leaves the originator address in tact
- Available as in hardware or as virtual appliance
Third Party Support and Cross Check is part of Advanced Reporting. It consolidates application alerts or errors and helps alleviate device naming inconsistencies between applications. The status of 3rd party applications is reflected in the Scrutinizer network maps.
Flowalyzer™: Real-Time Tool Kit for testing and configuring hardware or software for sending and receiving flow data.
Failover: For mission critical 100% availability.
Recent NetFlow Analysis Blog Entries
Recently, I discovered that the HP 6600 Router Series has support for NetFlow. If you search for HP 6600 NetFlow Support, though, you don’t find much. This is because HP’s version of NetFlow is called NetStream (likely from their acquisition of 3Com). I first learned about this when I browsed HP’s website to see if […]
The post HP 6600 NetFlow Support appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
I often receive calls from system administrators who want to set up a user bandwidth monitor. The admins aren’t always clear about what they mean by that, but by using NetFlow and IPFIX data it’s possible to create a variety of reports that could satisfy management’s demands for easily accessible insight into user activity. It’s […]
The post User Bandwidth Monitor appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
As resource demands and bandwidth speeds in many of today’s network infrastructures continue to increase, many network administrators believe that NetFlow sampling is the only way to deal with the high flow volume that is sent across the network. In fact, setting a NetFlow sample rate of 1 in 100 can cut flow volumes as much […]
The post How to Avoid NetFlow Sampling appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
If you’ve been looking for Avaya IPFIX support on our Configuring NetFlow, IPFIX & sFlow page and are coming up empty, it’s because it was originally listed as Nortel ERS 5500 & 8600 series routers. The Ethernet Routing Switch (ERS) 5500 & 8600 series routers were originally designed by Nortel. Then, in December 2009, Avaya […]
The post Avaya IPFIX Support appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
"We have used Scrutinizer on multiple troubleshooting opportunities to isolate what type of traffic was causing the heavy utilization and also what offending devices were doing it. Scrutinizer has more than lived up to its expectations."
Danny, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp