Forensic Investigation with Flow Data
The Scrutinizer System
Scrutinizer™ is at the foundation of the Plixer incident response and behavior analysis architecture. It is available as a physical or virtual appliance, or as a windows download. Scrutinizer performs the collection, threat detection, and reporting of all flow technologies on a single platform. It delivers real-time situational awareness into the applications and their historical behaviors on the network.
- Massive scalability, supporting dozens of distributed collectors
- Capable of archiving and analyzing several million flows per second
- Topology mapping with active links
- Deduplication and stitching across collectors
- A single flow collection system supporting over 2000 flow sources
- Collect up to 200,000 flows per second
- All flow technologies supported on a single system (i.e. NetFlow, sFlow, IPFIX, J-Flow, NetStream, etc.)
- Forensic audit trail reporting
- Threat Detection of odd traffic patterns
- Threat reputation support
- Threat Index™ indicates weighted threat severity over time.
- Archiving of raw data for decades
- Additional reports for Cisco, Palo Alto, Citrix and dozens of other vendors
- Behavior Baselines and alerting based on abnormalities, compared to historical trends
- Custom threat detection algorithms
- Integration with Cisco ISE or Microsoft for end user name identification
- Design and build custom reports for exports from any vendor (e.g. Cisco NBAR, AVC, etc.)
- Support for hundreds of unique login accounts with access limited to specified data
- Billing and invoicing support
- Extends flow support in areas where NetFlow, sFlow, or IPFIX are not available
- Detailed metrics on applications, response times, and usernames
- Exports NetFlow and IPFIX
- Eases the forwarding of flows from routers, switches, or servers to multiple collection systems
- High speed architecture capable of 10GbE wire speeds
- Leaves the originator address in tact
- Available as in hardware or as virtual appliance
Third Party Support and Cross Check is part of Advanced Reporting. It consolidates application alerts or errors and helps alleviate device naming inconsistencies between applications. The status of 3rd party applications is reflected in the Scrutinizer network maps.
Flowalyzer™: Real-Time Tool Kit for testing and configuring hardware or software for sending and receiving flow data.
Failover: For mission critical 100% availability.
Recent NetFlow Analysis Blog Entries
It’s hard to believe, isn’t it? Our security vendors (e.g. McAfee, SonicWALL and others) are using the same tactics as malware to extract information from the computers on our networks and they are sending it in a way that evades some of the best firewalls on the market. How are they doing it? It is […]
The post Security Vendors Teaching Bad Actors How to Get Past Firewalls appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
I have often been asked what free network monitoring tools I would recommend. With the vastness of the Internet against us in our search for free network monitoring tools, and since this is such a frequently asked question, I thought I would dedicate a post to showcase some free network monitoring tools I’d recommend. Free […]
The post Free Network Monitoring Tools appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
Make sure you read Part 1 of Overview of DNS Protocol before reading this one or you can go back to part 2. At this point, I want to introduce why we wanted to write a 3 part DNS process overview series. Question: Why a blog on how the DNS process works? Answer: Because some […]
The post Overview of DNS Protocol : Part 3 of 3 appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
NetFlow Security Monitoring When you hear NetFlow/IPFIX, what is your first thought? For most people, their first thought will be “NetFlow’s great for performance monitoring” or “IPFIX allows us to monitor a user’s traffic, even Layer 7 traffic”. These are the most common applications of flow technologies, but what about NetFlow security monitoring or incident […]
The post NetFlow Security Monitoring appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
"We have used Scrutinizer on multiple troubleshooting opportunities to isolate what type of traffic was causing the heavy utilization and also what offending devices were doing it. Scrutinizer has more than lived up to its expectations."
Danny, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp