Forensic Investigation with Flow Data
The Scrutinizer System
Scrutinizer™ is at the foundation of the Plixer incident response and behavior analysis architecture. It is available as a physical or virtual appliance, or as a windows download. Scrutinizer performs the collection, threat detection, and reporting of all flow technologies on a single platform. It delivers real-time situational awareness into the applications and their historical behaviors on the network.
- Massive scalability, supporting dozens of distributed collectors
- Capable of archiving and analyzing several million flows per second
- Topology mapping with active links
- Deduplication and stitching across collectors
- A single flow collection system supporting over 2000 flow sources
- Collect up to 200,000 flows per second
- All flow technologies supported on a single system (i.e. NetFlow, sFlow, IPFIX, J-Flow, NetStream, etc.)
- Forensic audit trail reporting
- Threat Detection of odd traffic patterns
- Threat reputation support
- Threat Index™ indicates weighted threat severity over time.
- Archiving of raw data for decades
- Additional reports for Cisco, Palo Alto, Citrix and dozens of other vendors
- Behavior Baselines and alerting based on abnormalities, compared to historical trends
- Custom threat detection algorithms
- Integration with Cisco ISE, RADIUS, or Microsoft for end user name identification
- Design and build custom reports for exports from any vendor (e.g. Cisco NBAR, AVC, etc.)
- Support for hundreds of unique login accounts with access limited to specified data
- Billing and invoicing support
- Extends flow support in areas where NetFlow, sFlow, or IPFIX are not available
- Detailed metrics on applications, response times, and usernames
- Exports NetFlow and IPFIX
- Eases the forwarding of flows from routers, switches, or servers to multiple collection systems
- High speed architecture capable of 10GbE wire speeds
- Leaves the originator address in tact
- Available as in hardware or as virtual appliance
Third Party Support and Cross Check is part of Advanced Reporting. It consolidates application alerts or errors and helps alleviate device naming inconsistencies between applications. The status of 3rd party applications is reflected in the Scrutinizer network maps.
Flowalyzer™: Real-Time Tool Kit for testing and configuring hardware or software for sending and receiving flow data.
Failover: For mission critical 100% availability.
Recent NetFlow Analysis Blog Entries
I was working with a customer a couple weeks back, and wanted to share a sample Fortigate NetFlow configuration that we came up with. Fortigate firewalls now have support for NetFlow v9 (as of FortiOS 5.2.X). This is pretty big news, since previous versions only support sFlow. There are a few different ways to configure it […]
The post Fortigate NetFlow Configuration appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
Two years ago I was getting fat. Everything else was great. I have a great career, I loving relationship with my wife and I was obviously eating well. I just didn’t like the extra pounds that I was starting to pack on. Several of us were joking about it in the office but, many of […]
The post NIKE Customer Service appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
Many types of malware can be uncovered simply by cross referencing the internet hosts your internal users are connecting to with an IP address reputation database. This post discusses the easiest way to do this. First, if your simply looking for a site to drop an IP address into in order to see if it […]
The post IP Address Reputation – How to Discover Malware appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
Becoming a NetFlow private eye is easy if you’re using the right Incident Response System (IRS). Our team is lucky to be able to experience and work through the scenarios that keep most security professionals up at night. After reading Jake’s blog a few weeks ago, we decided to infect our lab with a virus that […]
The post Incident Response Pocket Guide appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
"We have used Scrutinizer on multiple troubleshooting opportunities to isolate what type of traffic was causing the heavy utilization and also what offending devices were doing it. Scrutinizer has more than lived up to its expectations."
Danny, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp