Forensic Investigation with Flow Data
The Scrutinizer System
Scrutinizer™ is at the foundation of the Plixer incident response and behavior analysis architecture. It is available as a physical or virtual appliance, or as a windows download. Scrutinizer performs the collection, threat detection, and reporting of all flow technologies on a single platform. It delivers real-time situational awareness into the applications and their historical behaviors on the network.
- Massive scalability, supporting dozens of distributed collectors
- Capable of archiving and analyzing several million flows per second
- Topology mapping with active links
- Deduplication and stitching across collectors
- A single flow collection system supporting over 2000 flow sources
- Collect up to 200,000 flows per second
- All flow technologies supported on a single system (i.e. NetFlow, sFlow, IPFIX, J-Flow, NetStream, etc.)
- Forensic audit trail reporting
- Threat Detection of odd traffic patterns
- Threat reputation support
- Threat Index™ indicates weighted threat severity over time.
- Archiving of raw data for decades
- Additional reports for Cisco, Palo Alto, Citrix and dozens of other vendors
- Behavior Baselines and alerting based on abnormalities, compared to historical trends
- Custom threat detection algorithms
- Integration with Cisco ISE, RADIUS, or Microsoft for end user name identification
- Design and build custom reports for exports from any vendor (e.g. Cisco NBAR, AVC, etc.)
- Support for hundreds of unique login accounts with access limited to specified data
- Billing and invoicing support
- Extends flow support in areas where NetFlow, sFlow, or IPFIX are not available
- Detailed metrics on applications, response times, and usernames
- Exports NetFlow and IPFIX
- Eases the forwarding of flows from routers, switches, or servers to multiple collection systems
- High speed architecture capable of 10GbE wire speeds
- Leaves the originator address in tact
- Available as in hardware or as virtual appliance
Third Party Support and Cross Check is part of Advanced Reporting. It consolidates application alerts or errors and helps alleviate device naming inconsistencies between applications. The status of 3rd party applications is reflected in the Scrutinizer network maps.
Flowalyzer™: Real-Time Tool Kit for testing and configuring hardware or software for sending and receiving flow data.
Failover: For mission critical 100% availability.
Recent NetFlow Analysis Blog Entries
If you are looking to learn about how to investigate malware, chances are you’re already infected and under the gun to uncover the source and clean up the mess. Here are a few things to consider before you dig in. Do you have a time stamp of when the event took place? Do you know […]
The post How To Investigate Malware appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
I have been working with a number of customers who asked for a sFlow vs NetFlow comparison. They were concerned about the amount of visibility they were seeing with the sFlow (sampling) technology and why those reports were so different from their NetFlow reports. In response to all those requests, I setup a lab to […]
The post sFlow vs NetFlow Comparison appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
When searching for application performance metrics, what you’re looking for really depends on the application being monitored. A good question to ask yourself is: does the application I need to improve the performance of run locally on the computer without the use of the network? If it does require the network, does the application run […]
The post Application Performance Metrics : Cisco AVC Support appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
Working in support, customers often ask me how to start using NetFlow and IPFIX in their network monitoring tool, to get a more proactive approach to detecting threats. This is why I have decided to go over a few incident response system guidelines that will save you time and money when your network is hit by the […]
The post Incident Response System Guidelines appeared first on NetFlowKnights.com.
"We have used Scrutinizer on multiple troubleshooting opportunities to isolate what type of traffic was causing the heavy utilization and also what offending devices were doing it. Scrutinizer has more than lived up to its expectations."
Danny, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp